Sunday, June 14, 2015

A New Me

Today I decided to begin my journey back to fitness.  I know I just had a baby 6 days ago and I need to take it easy and I'm not to begin exercising until 6 weeks out.  Yes I know all of this stuff.  However, I am struggling with a few of what we therapists label as "functional activities" that allow me to do my "activities of daily living". What do I mean. Well it is painful to stand up and sit down, I leak a huge amount whenever I cough or sneeze, walking is hard at times due to pain and very little support in the abdomen and just holding my little baby is tiring at times. 

So what can I do that is light but will strengthen my core muscles and provide support to allow me to do what I need in order to function? 

I have chosen three activities that will get me started and I can advance slowly.

Squats- to strengthen my hip muscles and pelvic floor to support my pelvis.

Planks- to strengthen my abdomen in order to support my abdominal cavity and posture along with tighten the pelvic floor.

Push ups- to strengthen my chest and upper arms.

Initial abilities
S: 10 reps
PL: 30 sec
PU: 5 reps

By next Sunday I hope to be able to do:
S: 15 reps
PL: 45 sec
PU: 8 reps

I will update once a week on my progress. 

Happy Strengthening

Running Momma

1 comment:

  1. I know you know this. But if things start to feel "heavy" "down there" be sure to get off your feet. =D

    ReplyDelete